I know this has nothing to do with decorating or craft projects... But these frugal tips are what I live by to get my family by, on a one income budget.
Tips for around the house!
- Simmering oranges and cinammon on the stove on and off all day. Makes the house smell great. You can also use other fruit, except banans. And this tip will last for days. I've use this for 4 days straight.
- Throw some lemon or orange rinds down the disposal.
- A little fabric softer diluted in water and 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a spray bottle, is a frugal and fast fix for Fabreeze
- Press cloves or cinammon in the skin of an orange and hang it!
- Dryer sheets in vents.
- Homemade laundry detergent. My husband is sensitive to EVERYTHING. Sometimes I even think he is allergic to me... Anyways he was always itching, sneezing, and rubbing, so I started using this sensitive brand from ALL, I forget the official name of it, but it didn't really clean our clothes very well. My husband stopped complaing, but that wasn't good enough for me. So I started doing research and eventuall started making my own.
How I make my Laundry Detergent :
Ingredients - 1 cup of 20 Mule Borax
1 cup of Super Washing Soda
1 Fels Naptha Soap bar
Items you will need - 1 5 gallon bucket
1 pot to boil water
1 metal spoon to stir
(optional - old detergent bottles)
You will need to pour about 4 & 1/2 gallons of hot water into your 5 gallon bucket.
Add your 1 cup of Borax
Add your 1 cup of Washing Soda
and stir.. meanwhile on the stove in your pot, bring water to a boil. (A few cups worth) Shred your Fels Naptha Soap bar, with a processor or a grater. Slowly add the soap to the boiling water, a little at a time or you'll end up with a big clump again, that will take longer to boil down. It should take about 10 to 15 minutes.
Once its melted down add it to your 5 gallon buck. Sir. YOU'RE DONE!
Use about 2/3 cup per load.
The mixture tends to clump up. So I pour it into old detergent bottles, so that I can shake it every couple of days before a load, and its easy to pour from the little spout.
My next batch I am going to try the dry version... for the recipe and outcome click here
Restaurants that have a kids eat free night!
Applebees : Kids eat for free on Monday nights! With the purchase of an adult entree, and additional kids meals are $1.00 more. Participation may vary so check with your local chain.
Golden Corral : Kids eat free on Tuesdays nights!
IHOP : Kids eat free everynight. Participation may vary so check with your local chain.
Red Robin : YUM! Kids 10 and under eat free on Mondays and Tuesdays from 5-9pm